Suran/ Oal/ Elephant Yam is a tuber vegetable and good source of carbs. It packs a punch of health benefits. Yams are rich in vitamin C, B-complex, fiber, potassium and manganese. This vegetable help lower bad cholesterol, making it heart healthy, improve blood sugar control and easy to digest. Yams contain a unique compound called diosgenin, which may enhance memory and brain function. Today I am going to share an extremely popular recipe of Suran/Oal/Yam ka bharta.
Suran/Oal/Elephant Yam – 500 grams
Turmeric Powder – 1 ½ teaspoon or as per requirement
Mustard Powder – ½ tablespoon
Green chilli – 12 no. or as per your taste (cut all Chillies in three pieces lengthwise)
Onion seeds or Kalonji or Kala Jeera – 1 ¼th teaspoon
Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
Ginger paste – ½ teaspoon
Lemon Juice – 1 (Big size)
Mustard oil – 4 tablespoons
Salt to taste
- Remove hard skin and cut into medium chunks. Rinse and wash the suran properly.
2. Add the suran and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker. The total water level with suran should not be more than 75% of cooker depth. Cover the lid of the pressure cooker and Keep it on medium flame. After 4 whistles on medium flame, reduce the flame. Keep 10 minutes on reduce flame. Switch off the stove. Do not open the lid of the cooker till it has pressure in it. Once steam has vanished, open the lid of the cooker and check whether suran are properly boiled or not. Poke the knife in one of the suran, if it goes in easily, it means cooked very well.
3. Remove suran pieces from water and allow them to dry an under sun or fan.
4. Season the mashed suran with salt, turmeric powder, kala jeera, mustard powder and ginger garlic paste. Mix it well.
5. Transfer the suran into a bowl. Add green chilies, lemon juice and mustard oil. Mix it well and put in the sun or room temperature.
6. Suran ka bharta will be ready in a day or two.