Enjoy a flavorful Indian dish with this Sarson Wali Bhindi recipe. Mustard seeds and okra come together in a rich and aromatic gravy. Follow this easy step-by-step guide for a delightful meal.
- Bhindi – 130 grams
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
FOR THE GRAVY
- Yellow mustard seeds-1 tablespoon
- Black mustard seeds-1/2 tablespoon
- Poppy seeds-1 tablespoon
- Onion & red chili paste-1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder-1 teaspoon
- Red chilli Powder-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1tsp
- Tomato-2 tablespoons
- Garlic paste-1 teaspoon
- Mustard oil-2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves(fresh)-1/2tbsp (optional)
How to make Mustard paste
- Yellow, black mustard seeds & poppy seeds and place them in a small bowl. Add 1/4th cup of water to the bowl. Cover the bowl and let the mustard seeds soak in the water for at least 2-4 hours or overnight.
- After the seeds have soaked, transfer them, along with the water & 1/2 teaspoon salt, to a blender. Blend the mixture until you achieve a smooth paste. Your homemade mustard seed paste is now ready to be used.
For Bhindi Fry
- Wash the bhindi thoroughly and pat them completely dry with a kitchen towel. Now, trim the tops and tails of the bhindi and then cut them into long, slender pieces (½ to 1 inch round pieces).
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the bhindi and salt and stir well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Once all the bhindi is fried, turn off the gas.
- Same frying pan add fresh mustard oil. Heat the oil on medium heat and add mustard seeds and 1 whole red chilli. Let them sizzle.
- Now add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt, salt, onion pasts and tomato paste. Mix everything together.
- Fry this spice mixture until the oil begins separate add mustard-poppy seeds paste and cook 3-4 minutes and add 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer until light thick gravy. Now add the fried pieces of bhindi to the gravy and stir gently and Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with plain boiled rice.