Pui shak is also known as Malabar spinach or “climbing / creeping spinach . In English its known as Basella Alba. It is used as leaf vegetable and is high in Vit A and C, Iron and Calcium and has a high protein per calorie value, and pretty low in calories per volume.
So lets get started with a dish that’s a combination of this Healthy leaf vegetable with another worlds favorite Healthy food – Prawns.
Pui Shak with Prawns, is also called Pui Chingri or Pui Shak Chorchori is a Bengali recipe and is easy to make. Here you go.
Serves : 2-3
- Pui shak (Basella leaf/Malabar Spinach) – 250 gms
- Red pumpkin – 125 gms
- Potato – 1 (Medium size)
- Prawn – 8 (Medium)
- Green chili – 3 (slit)
- Dried Red chili (Whole) – 1
- Panch phoran – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – a big pinch
- Sugar – a big pinch
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean and cut the pui shak.
- Clean all prawns.
- Cut potato and red pumpkin into cube size.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, Garlic paste and salt over the prawn and mix well. Set aside for 5- 10 minutes.
- Heat mustard oil a deep frying pan on medium heat.
- Add all prawns and cook stirring for 3 to 4 minutes or till they are light brown on both side. Note: Keep a check on softness of the prawn. Frying too much will make them hard.
- Keep the all fried prawn pieces aside.
- In the same frying pan add panch phoran and red chili. Saute on medium heat until crackle.
- Add potato cubes and big pinch of salt and fry light golden color.
- Add Red pumpkin and cook until tender, add green chili and turmeric powder mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add chopped pui shak, salt & sugar and stir and cook till potato and pumpkin are done.
- Add the fried prawn and mix well, cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with Roti, Paratha or white Rice.