The Masala Shikanji Recipe (Indian lemonade) is a sweet, tangy and spicy drink. The word “shikanji” is derived from the Hindi word “shikanjvi,” which means a drink that quenches thirst. According to wikipedia shikanji, also known as shikanjvi or shikanjbeen. This recipe is a traditional North Indian beverage. It serves as a refreshing source of hydration, especially during hot weather, while supplying a dose of vitamin C that supports immunity and skin health. Its digestive aids, such as black salt and cumin, help stimulate enzymes for smoother digestion and its cooling effect from mint, and spices provides relief in heat.
Here I am sharing sweet, tangy and spicy homemade Masala Shikanji Recipe (Indian lemonade). You can also try our other recipes: Kachche Aam ki Khatti Mitthi Chutney.
- Water – 1200 ml (cold or at room temperature according to your preference )
- Sugar – 10 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Black salt – 1 & 1/2 teaspoons
- Coriander powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Dried mango powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Roasted cumin seeds powder – 1 & 1/2 teaspoons
- Lemon Juice – 1 (whole lemon)
- In a bowl add water, lemon juice and sugar, mix it well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add salt, black salt, dried mango powder, roasted cumin powder and coriander powder to the lemon-sugar mixture.
- Add crushed mint and mix it well. Now this stage taste the shikanji and adjust sugar, salt, and lemon juice according to your preference.
- Serve chilled and enjoy the refreshing masala shikanji.