Dahi Bhalle or Dahi Vada
Recipe type: Snacks
Cuisine: North Indian Recipes
- Urad dal or Moong dal – ½ cup
- Coriander leave (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Tamarind(seedless) – ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Dry red chilli - 1
- Red chili powder – ¼ tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Dry ginger powder – ¼ tsp
- Jaggery (Gur) – 6-8
- Salt or black salt – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves or cilantro or dhaniya patti – ½ cup
- Mint leaves – 10 – 15
- Green chilli – 2-3 or as per your taste
- Curd – ½ tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves– 2-3
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Whisk curd – 2 cups
- Chat masala as per your taste
- Roasted Red chili powder as per your taste
- Roasted cumin powder – 1tsp
- Black salt to taste
- wash and soak urad dal or moong dal in 3 cups water for overnight or 8 hours.
- After 8 hours drain excess water.
- Grind urad dal or moong dal to a smooth batter.
- Whisk batter in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat.
- With wet palms take small portions of batter and gently drop it into hot oil.
- Drop 5 – 6 portion at a time.
- Deep fry them on medium heat until light golden brown and light crispy.
- Take out from pan and drain on paper towel.
- In another bowl add 4 cups lukewarm water and ½ tsp black salt and add the vadas to the water.
- Soak them 20 minutes or till soft. Take each vadas and press between your palms to remove excess water.
- Take a grinder jar add coriander leaves, garlic cloves, green chilli, mint, salt and lemon juice.
- Grind all ingredients together.
- Remove and keep in small bowl and add curd and mix well.
- Soak tamarind in one cup water overnight.
- Squeeze the pulp from tamarind and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan on medium heat.
- Add dry red chilli.
- Add tamarind pulp and stir 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes add jaggery, salt, red chilli powder and dry ginger powder and mix well.
- Bring it to boil and cook on medium flame until jaggery dissolve completely and thick enough.
- Taste for sweetness, if you want to make sweetness add more jaggery.
- Turn off flame and allow it to cool at room temperature.
- Place 2 vadas in the serving plate.
- Pour 6-7 tbsp curd over the vadas.
- Pour ½ tbsp tamarind chutney and ½ tbsp green chutney over the vadas.
- Sprinkle black salt (as per your taste), roasted some cumin powder and roasted some dry chilli powder.
- Serve dahi bhalle immediately.
Recipe by FoodFlavor.in at https://www.foodflavor.in/dahi-bhalle-or-dahi-vada/