Bharwan karela recipe, how to make Stuffed Karela or stuffed bitter gourd.
Recipe type: Side dish, Vegetarian
Cuisine: North Indian Recipes
Serves: 5 Bharwan Karela
- Karela (bitter guard) – 5
- Raw mango paste or amchur powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 ½ tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tbsp
- Karela seeds paste – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 5 (chopped)
- Ginger paste – ½ tbsp
- Garlic paste – ½ tbsp
- Mustard oil for frying
- You will need sewing thread (cotton based) to keep the stuffing together inside the karela when cooking. This will be removed while serving.
- Lightly scrap karela (bitter guards).
- Slit each karela (bitter guards) lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds carefully.
- Boil them in slightly salted water for ten minutes or until half done and drain.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or turn translucent.
- Add garlic-ginger paste and mix well.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, raw mango paste or amchur powder, karela seeds paste, sugar and salt. Mix well
- Cook for 10 minutes or separate the oil.
- Turn off the gas and let the stuffing cool.
- Fill the prepared mixture into the karela (bitter guard) and tie with a thread.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium flame and deep-fry the stuffed karela (bitter guards) till they turn golden brown from all the sides. Take out the karelas from the pan.
- The Bharwan Karela is ready.
While serving Bharwan karela remove the thread.
Serve with plain rice or Parathas or Roti or Puri.
Recipe by FoodFlavor.in at https://www.foodflavor.in/bharwan-karela-recipe/