Delicious Bengali Mixed Vegetable is a traditional bengali recipe. This traditional dish combines a medley of fresh vegetables with aromatic spices. The uniqueness in this veggie curry comes from the addition of five spice or Panch Phoran which is a mixture of mustard seeds, fennel, cumin, nigella (kalaunji) and fenugreek. It simply elevates any dish. You can also try our other recipes: Panch Phoran, Shukto.
- Potato – 2 (small)
- Brinjal – Half (one by two, use half portion)
- Cauliflower – 7-8 florets
- Cabbage – 2 cups (shredded)
- Green chili – 4
- Tomato – 1/4th cup
- Ginger paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard oil – 1 & 1/2 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
For Phoran or temper
- Mixed spice seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Wash properly and cut all the vegetables.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium flame, add potato & cauliflower and fry till light golden brown and remove from oil and keep aside.
- In the same wok add phoran. When they start sputtering add brinjal and stir well. Now add cabbage and salt and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, Salt and ginger paste and cook 5 minutes. Add fried potato and cauliflower. Cover and cook till all vegetables are cooked well. Once the all vegetables are almost done add sugar.
- Switch off flame, stir and keep it covered for sometimes before serving. Serve with plain white rice.