Bhature is a thick Indian flat bread and is a very popular punjabi recipe. Bhatura goes great with chhole (chickpeas curry). Bhature can be made with or without yeast. This recipe is with or without yeast. We use yoghurt and water, and leave the dough to ferment for few hours like 3 to 4 hours for the perfect leavening of the Bhatura.
Enjoy this fabulous dish with punjabi chhole.
Lets start the step by step recipe for Bhature :
Ingredients for Bhature
- Refined flour (Maida) – 3cups
- Semolina (Sooji) – 4 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – 1tsp
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Yoghurt (Curd) – 1/2 cup
- Water – 6tbsp
- Refined oil – 1 teaspoon
- Refined oil for frying
- Sift the refined flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add sugar, yoghurt and warm water to make smooth dough by light kneading.
- Incorporate two tablespoons of oil into the dough and cover with a moist cloth and keep aside for 3 to 4 hours or overnight (in winter season). Knead the dough again.
- Divide the dough into 10 – 12 equal portions. Apply oil while rolling and roll into an oval or round shape.
- Heat the oil in a deep wok (kadhai). Drop the bhatura in hot oil and it will start puffing within a minute. Turn and cook the other side too. When bhature light golden, remove the bhatura and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve with chhole.